Advertisements are a crucial part of any business development strategy. The same is in hiring and recruiting top talent. Job advertisements are an extremely crucial part of attracting talented individuals for your open job roles. The sole purpose of job advertisements is to attract eligible and valuable candidates. So, writing engaging and compelling job advertisements is very important. Advertising your job posts is a crucial part of sourcing great candidates. Before you start, here’s a guide on how to write compelling job advertisements.
We’ve established the fact that amidst the waging war of talent if you want to hire the best candidates, compelling job advertisements are the most effective way to get more eyes on your listings. Did you know that candidates spend an average of 14 seconds looking at a job description before deciding whether to apply? That’s why it’s important to focus on engaging your candidates via your job ads right from the beginning.
Writing a compelling job advertisement is not an easy task. So, there can be nothing more annoying than taking all the pain in drafting and publishing a job ad and not have enough candidates apply through it. So, we have compiled this complete guide for you that can help you write great job ads and drive huge traffic of amazing talents to your job openings.
What Is A Job Ad?
Just like any other advertisement, a job advertisement is a way for recruiters and employers to advertise the open positions in their company. It’s simply an announcement about the vacancies available at your company. In the early days, before the technology boom, newspapers and columns were the major sources of job advertisements. However, today, the majority of job advertisements are posted online. There are a majority ad job boards available where recruiters and employers advertise their jobs. Not just job boards, but social media plays a major role in job advertisements too.
Now that we know what job ads are, let’s understand why job advertisements are important.
Why Are Job Advertisements Important?
Job advertisements are most probably the very first thing that you candidates see. Or, in other words, they are the first impression of your company. We’ve all heard the saying about first impressions and their importance. The main goal of a job advertisement is to announce the open roles in your company. Here are some other reasons why job advertisements are important.
- Job Ads lets the word out about your open job positions. They are the sole way of promoting your job vacancies and letting people and talents know about the available posts.
- Job Advertisements are accessible to anyone from anywhere. One of the greatest advantages of online job postings is that they can be accessed and seen by anyone from across the globe.
- Let people know you. Job advertisements are a great way to give candidates an insight of your company culture and values. You can easily promote your name too using job advetisements.
- Target the right candidates. By drafting good and targeted job advertisements, you can easily reduce the burden of filtering job applications right from the beginning of the hiring process.
How To Write Compelling Job Advertisements
Job advertisements are nothing but marketing your job vacancies. So, to write great job advertisements, you need to think like a marketer. You need to think more about how to capture the attention of the job seekers and keep them engaged. The sole focus should be how to get the job seekers to apply for the job. Here are some of the major selling points that you need to focus on to make a compelling job advertisement.
- Why is this job a great opportunity for the job seekers? Today’s job seekers have great analytical and reasoning ability. So, you need to explain very clearly why the job is a great opprtunity of growth and learning for them.
- How the job will change their lives and careers? Today’s job seekers want a good work-life balance and ample room for growth. So, you need to make it very clear how the job will improve their growth and careers.
- Demonstrate your company’s culture and work environment. As said before as well, job ads are the first impression of your company’s culture and work values. So, make sure you demonstrate it as accurately as possible.
Structure Of A Job Advertisement
As creative as you want to be, however, you should follow a basic, classic structure for writing a job ad.
- Job Title- The most important part of a job ad is to get the job title right. A simple and clear job title is the best way to attract the most relevant candidates.
- A brief introduction about the company- The next thing that should be present in a job ad is a brief introduction about your company. Just a few sentences that describe your company’s vision, mission, and values clearly.
- Duties and responsibilities- The next and one of the most important component of a job ad is mentioning the duties and responsibilties that the job entails.
- Location and salary- Ofcourse, while applying for a job, working location and compensation and benefits are the first thing that candidates look for. So, make sure to mention them clearly.
- Job requirements and eligibility criteria- Noq you need to outline the requirements and eligibiloty criteria for applying to this role. This completely depends on the job role.
Some Tips To Write Great Job Ads
Be Specific And Clear
It may be very tempting to be creative and use catchy words and phrases in your job ad. However, it’s very important to be very specific and clear with your language and not mislead the reader. This will help the candidates to understand very clearly what is required from them and ease their applying process.
The truth is that unrealistic jobs attract gullible and non-performing candidates. That’s why you need to make sure that the job ad looks realistic and doesn’t overwhelm the readers. You need to ensure that the job doesn’t sound too good to be true. Or, on the other hand, it shouldn’t also look like a pale or dull job.
Convey Your Company’s Value Clearly
You need to give your candidates a little insight into what it is like to work for your company. So, you need to describe a little bit about your company. Of course not in very much detail because it becomes difficult to read. However, you should include enough information that makes the job seekers work for your company.