The administrative assistant is the one who keeps your teams energized and ensures they can give their best. This person takes care of a full set of tasks including maintaining office supplies, giving support to employees and managers, and managing your office calendars.
That’s why the person you’re hiring for this role should be the right fit for your company.
No matter if you’re looking for an executive administrative job description or an entry-level administrative assistant job description, make sure whichever job description you use highlights your company and the values it stands for.
Additionally, optimizing the JD is the best idea to ensure it reaches the target audience.
Finding it a bit hard to get started? No worries! Below is the free administrative assistant job description template you can use right away. If you want you can either use it as it is or add particular qualifications, needs, or more.
[Introduction for the Job Description]: The 1st paragraph of this JD shall include 2-3 sentences about your company. Here, give a brief yet impressive overview of your company. Communicate to job seekers about your distinctive company, work environment & culture, as well as the kind of qualities and skill set your team is expecting.
Table of Contents
Administrative Assistant Roles
We are looking for a responsible administrative assistant for our company, who is capable of working positively with the higher officials.
An administrative assistant performs clerical duties, largely on behalf of the leader of the organization. The candidate will primarily schedule appointments, prepare presentation materials, and plan events like board meetings. The ideal candidate should be able to maintain the growth of a smooth, positive,, and productive working environment within the organization.
To do justice with this job, you should have excellent communication skills and extensive professional knowledge. Also, you should be able to manage our company’s administrative work effectively. The ideal candidate must fit the responsibilities and requirements mentioned in the administrative assistant job description below.
Administrative Assistant Job Responsibilities:
- Understand the administrative work of the company and provide support to managers, employees, and visitors.
- Collaborate with senior officials to accomplish the task given by leaders and managers.
- Ensure clear and positive interactions within the organization, manage information sharing among co-workers, and maintain a productive work environment.
- Schedule appointments and prepare presentations for meetings.
- Store, organize, and manage files.
- Proofread documents and ensure corrections are made in the document.
- Assist in the preparation of important reports.
- Record the minutes of meetings and send faxes and emails.
- Plan events and make travel arrangements for staff.
- Manage office supplies and request office items whenever required.
- Monitor and operate office machines.
- Contribute to establishing and maintaining clear interaction with the clients.
- Provide customer services, greet visitors, attend phone calls, and redirect them.
- Record and report office expenditures.
- Coordinate and contribute to the maintenance and repair work of the office.
Administrative Assistant Job Requirements:
- High school diploma degree and associate’s degree in related fields.
- Prior assistant, secretarial, or office experience.
- Proficiency in various tools used in this field (e.g.: MS Excel, MS Office, MS PowerPoint, etc.)
- Working experience and knowledge of various office machines like printers and fax machines.
- Deep knowledge of the Office management system.
- Extensive professional knowledge, administrative knowledge, and skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Excellent time management, work management, and organization skills.
- Strong work ethics, attention to detail and problem-solving abilities.
- Experience as an administrative assistant.
Administrative Assistant Skills and Qualifications:
Good Written Communication Skills – An AA needs to have exceptional written communication skills. An administrative assistant engages with various internal and external stakeholders throughout their usual workday. So, they may be tasked with composing emails, paperwork, speeches, or memos for executives, and various other activities. So, administrative assistants must use proper professional language and ensure that their writing is free of grammatical or formatting errors.
Good Verbal Communication Skills – Administrative Assistants don’t really work alone and their job role usually supports an entire workplace. AAs need to interact with employees from all the departments in the office and even managers and executives. So, in addition to great written communication skills, they also need to have strong verbal communication skills.
Great Organizational Skills – Administrative assistants are usually the people responsible for keeping an office running smoothly. So, AAs should have exceptional organizational skills. They have to be very particular about organizing their entire work and keep a track of how organized the files and schedule are.
Time Management Skills – The role of an administrative assistant includes rigorous strategic planning because they may oversee various functions within the office, at the same time. Tasks such as managing an executive’s calendar, scheduling meetings, and ensuring the smooth functioning of office operations are always a part of the job role. So, an AA needs to have great time management skills to prevent any redundancy or inefficiency. Managing these tasks promptly is crucial to ensuring that office operations continue uninterrupted.
Problem-Solving Skills – Administrative assistants are usually the PoCs for any issues in an office. They assist employees, clients, and executives in resolving any issues that may arise. They must possess the necessary skills to assess a situation, evaluate its pros and cons, and help resolve it. An important aspect of effectively addressing queries is to actively listen, engage in discussions, and collaborate whenever necessary.
Adaptability – Adaptability is a crucial skill for administrative assistants as they need to be able to adjust to changes and unexpected situations in the workplace. An AA should be flexible enough to handle tasks that may fall outside of their regular responsibilities, as well as work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures. They should be able to quickly shift priorities and adjust their work schedule to accommodate urgent tasks or unexpected events.
Proficiency In Microsoft Office – An administrative assistants should be proficient with using the different products of Microsoft Office as it is a widely used suite of software applications that are essential for creating, managing, and sharing documents and information in the workplace.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- A high school diploma or similar education needed
- 3 years of experience in the same field.
- Proper driver’s license and automobile insurance
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office & other platforms
Administrative Assistant Job Description Sample:
Here is a job description intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position.
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Location: [Insert location]
Job Type: Full-time
We are looking for a detail-oriented and organized Administrative Assistant to join our team. As an Administrative Assistant, you will be responsible for performing various administrative and clerical tasks to support the daily operations of the office. You will assist the management team and other employees, helping to ensure that the office runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Perform administrative duties such as answering phones, handling incoming and outgoing mail, and responding to email inquiries.
- Maintain and update files and records, including confidential information.
- Schedule and coordinate appointments and meetings, and assist with making travel arrangements.
- Prepare and edit documents, reports, and presentations.
- Coordinate and assist with the organization of events, meetings, and conferences.
- Order and maintain office supplies and equipment.
- Assist with the preparation of budgets and financial reports.
- Respond to inquiries from clients, vendors, and other stakeholders.
- Participate in various special projects and assignments, as needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent required; associate’s or bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in an administrative support role.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and other relevant software applications.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Detail-oriented with strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize competing demands.
- Professional and courteous demeanor.
This is a full-time position that operates in an office environment. The Administrative Assistant may be required to work extended hours or weekends, as needed, to meet deadlines or complete special projects. The position may also require occasional lifting of up to 25 pounds.
Administrative Assistant Job Description FAQs:
What does an Administrative Assistant do?
Providing support and assistance to an individual or organization is the job of an administrative assistant. It includes scheduling appointments, answering calls and emails, drafting correspondence, organizing files, and giving general administrative support.
What are the Administrative duties and responsibilities?
-Maintaining office supplies
-Managing your office calendars
-Assisting with meetings and events
-Providing support to employees/managers
-Providing general administrative support
Where can I post this Administrative Assistant Job Description to get maximum reach?
You can post this job description to various job boards such as ZipRecruiter, Adzuna, Indeed, and many more. A smarter approach would be to use an Applicant Tracking System. An ATS like Recooty helps you broadcast your jobs across more than 20+ job sites on a single submission.
What exactly does an Administrative Assistant do?
An administrative assistant should have excellent oral and written communication skills to carry out day to day tasks. The tasks include preparing official reports & files, making travel & meeting arrangements and answering queries over phone or email. An ideal candidate must be familiar with MS Excel, PowerPoint, and other office equipment.
What is an Administrative Assistant’s salary expectations?
An average Administrative Assistant makes about $15/hr in the US. An experienced candidate might expect as much as $35/hr at the highest.