In this article, learn about the key prerequisites, duties, responsibilities, and skills to create an engaging Technical Writer Job Description. Also, you can use our free DevOps Engineer Job Description Template and start finding the perfect candidate right away!
What is a Technical Writer?
Technical Writer is a professional who creates documentation that clearly defines the features and benefits of the products. They focus on tasks like working on content strategies or outlining new product details to ensure that all important details are present for users. This way the users can easily understand the content they are reading.
You will find technical writers usually working for companies in various domains including technology, healthcare, engineering, software development, manufacturing, finance, and more. Apart from in-house writers, some technical writers work individually as freelancers and are hired for specific writing projects. Their major role is to write simple, clear guides for laypersons or installers to utilize when they receive their new product.
In simple words, their role is to break down complex information from technical experts into something that non-technical readers can relate to and understand.
Technical Writer Job Description Template:
We at [Company Name] are looking for an ambitious technical writer to join our team and produce top-notch documentation, propelling our company to unparalleled success.
For this role, you should be able to assess and analyze information that is difficult to understand and have an innate desire to help others understand it. The ideal candidate for this position will showcase demonstrated expertise in technical domains including software development, computer science, and engineering.
- Develop clear and concise technical documentation including manuals, guides, and tutorials.
- Obtain an in-depth understanding of the product and technology from subject matter experts and create process documentation, procedure manuals, and technical specifications.
- Organize and present complex information in an easy-to-understand format for the target audience.
- Write easily understandable text for UI, developer guides, and online help.
- Prepare tutorials to assist users in using a variety of applications.
- Revise and update documentation as new product features or updates are released.
- Ensure documentation adheres to industry standards and guidelines.
- Perform research to collect information for documentation projects.
- Help in creating and maintaining a documentation style guide.
- Ensure consistency in product messaging by collaborating with other departments.
- Provide input in the design and layout of documentation.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Technical Writing, Communication, or a related field.
- Proven experience in technical writing, preferably in the relevant industry.
- Ability to work with engineers to enhance user experience, improve content, and prepare illustrations and diagrams for technical support content.
- Ability to comprehend complex technical concepts and convert them into easy-to-understand text and pictures.
- Understanding of system development lifecycle (SDLC).
- Experience in software development is preferred.
- Proficiency in English is required.
- Experience in using technical writing tools and software.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational abilities.
- Knowledge of the industry and its terminology.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
What does a technical writer do?
A technical writer simplifies complex concepts, creating clear and engaging content, explaining technical ideas to non-technical readers and thus bridging the knowledge gap.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a technical writer?
A technical writer is responsible for researching, writing, editing, and organizing technical content, ensuring accuracy and coherence to convey information to the intended audience effectively.
What makes a good technical writer?
A good technical writer possesses a blend of technical expertise and exceptional communication skills, distilling intricate ideas into understandable, compelling content for a diverse readership.
Who does a technical writer work with?
Technical writers collaborate closely with subject matter experts, developers, designers, and project managers to gather information and prepare authentic and reader-friendly technical documentation.
How can this Job Description help me broaden my reach for better candidates?
You can post this optimized job description on various job boards including Adzuna, ZipRecruiter, Indeed, and CareerJet and get a better candidate reach. Additionally, you can opt for an ATS like Recooty that will help save you a great deal of manual work! This allows you to post jobs to more than 200+ job sites on a single click. A quick sign-up and you’re ready to reach a wide candidate network.
Which industries look for a Technical Writer?
Industries including Software, Heavy Machinery, Automobile, Healthcare, Medical, Defense, Banking & Finance, Education, and more usually tend to hire a technical writer.