This Technical Writer Job Description Template is a brief explanation of all the responsibilities and requirements of this job. It streamlines the selection process and makes the hiring process one step easier. It can be used to streamline the selection process and receive a high concentration of applicants who are the best suitable for this position.
We are looking for a Technical Writer for our organization. The candidate will have to understand and produce good quality documentation for the organization. You will have to work closely with the internal teams. Preparing easily understandable instruction guides for the end users is also your responsibility.
The technical content you create, in all must contribute significantly for the success of the company’s products.
- Work closely with the internal team to understand the project and Documentation requirements.
- Create high-quality technical documents that adhere to the quality standards of the organization and meet the needs of the target audience.
- Coordinate with the developers and designers to check the product samples.
- Right, an easily understandable instruction manual, developer guides, and online health.
- Help the end-users in understanding the product and using it efficiently by creating tutorials.
- Analyze the existing content, reuse, and make changes as required.
- Create and maintain the technical design specifications, information architecture, and test scripts.
- Bachelors degree in computer science or other related courses.
- Robin experiences as a technical content writer or in other relevant roles.
- Good technical understanding.
- Ability to explain complex technical content into easily understandable text.
- Experience in writing instruction guides, etc. for the end-users.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of complete Microsoft suite.
- Familiarity with software development and SDLC techniques.
Technical Writer Job Description FAQs:
What is a typical payout for a Technical Writer?
Salaries depend on location and years of experience involved. But on an average a Technical Writer on an entry-level earn about Rs. 609K per year.
How can this Job Description help me broaden my reach for better candidates?
Posting this job description on various job boards such as Adzuna, ZipRecruiter, indeed and CareerJet can help get you better reach of the candidates. Using an ATS like Recooty can help save you a great deal of manual work! This allows you to post jobs to more than 20+ job sites on a single click. A quick Recooty sign up could be done from here – Recooty.
Which industries lookout for Technical Writer?
- Software industry,
- Heavy Machinery industry,
- Automobile industry,
- Medical industry,
- Defense industry,
- Banking & Finance,
- Aerospace industry,
- Consumer electronics industry.
What are the top qualities of a technical writer?
Excellent writing capability:
The Candidate is must excel at writing skills. The first and foremost criteria looked up for in Software documentation is the clarity of the text. To do so it is necessary for the candidate to have solid writing capability. You should know the correct way of putting the most complicated technical concepts in the most easily understandable way.
Experience with technical writing tools:
we know that technology keeps moving forward. Nowadays, everything is about being efficient and agile. With the help of these tools the writer scan save a lot of time and efforts for documentation team.
This is probably the first skill needed for any writer to produce content that is well updated as per the recent technological advancement. You often have to write content for a variety of clients whom you have never met or have heard of. Producing appropriate content under such circumstances is a tough call. This is possible only after hours of thorough research. It is necessary for you to gather a good amount of information on the given topic.
Organized and systematic way of working:
You are supposed to develop instruction guides or user guides. In these, you have to convert complex technical content into easily understandable content. To help users and enhance their experience it is essential for the document to be structured appropriately. Also, if there is no system followed for documentation writing, it becomes tough to maintain the user guides.
The candidate supposed to communicate effectively with members of different departments. You need to talk to the editors, designers, developers, etc. The organization often conducts conferences for and by technical communicators. These members of different departments are The actual authors of all the user guides. So, writers have to communicate effectively, understand the technical concepts and workflow of the products from the authors.
What is the correct technical writing process every Technical Writer must follow?
- Project preparation: In this, the initial requirements are properly defined. Some of them are document type, subject content, gold, target audience, etc. All these aspects might not be defined completely at the beginning. The clients may or may not be sure about all of this at first. This is particularly done to ensure that as an author, you understand the project clearly. Further, you can increase the certainty of all the defined aspects through thoughtful question and answer rounds with the clients.
- Analysis of the target audience: This is the second biggest factor writers have to pay attention to while creating the content. The readers are always the ones who actually define the text. Generally, the technical information remains the same. But the way these facts are conveyed changes.
- Understanding the user: Now that you know who your target audience is, it is important for you to understand them better. In order to do so, you first have to collect as much information as you can about the users. You need to figure out whether sure end-users are well aware of the subject content or completely new to the subject. You need to ensure what the users are looking for from your content. The readers’ goal is the best guidance for the entire writing process.