This System Administrator Job Description Template gives you a complete overview of the responsibilities and requirements of this job. It can be used to attract the candidate most suited for your open position. It streamlines the hiring process and makes it one step easier.
This template is SEO optimized. You can customize it according to your needs and use it to post on online job boards.
We are looking for a System Administrator for our organization. The candidate is supposed to install, configure and maintain the hardware, software as well as network. You will also have to take care of the security and backup of data. Managing technological applications and tools of the organization will also come under your responsibilities. You must be capable of identifying issues in the system and resolving them. At times, you might also be required to provide technical guidance and support to the staff.
To become an ideal candidate, you must exhibit good communication skills, critical thinking skills, and problem-solving abilities.
- Install, configure and maintain computer system, hardware as well as software of the organization.
- Take care of the backup of data and its secured storage on regular basis.
- Manage technological applications, tools and network.
- Identify issues in the systems, hardware, software or network and come up with an effective solution.
- Observe the performance and functioning of the system keeping in mind system requirements.
- Upgrade or replace the system components depending on its performance and new releases in the market.
- Work on the security of the system with the help of firewalls, access controls, etc.
- Direct and document processes to be followed for efficient use of the system.
- Provide technical support and guidance to the staff when needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or other related courses.
- Proven experience as a System Administrator or other relevant roles.
- Working experience with network servers and databases.
- Knowledge of script creation in languages like Python, Perl, etc.
- Acquaintance with operating systems.
- Ability to handle the workload, prioritize work and manage deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Problem-solving abilities and critical thinking skills.
System Administrator Job Description FAQs:
What is a typical payout for a System Administrator?
Salaries depend on location and years of experience involved. But on an average a System Administrator on an entry-level earn about Rs. 405K per year.
How can this Job Description help me broaden my reach for better candidates?
Posting this job description on various job boards such as Adzuna, ZipRecruiter, indeed and CareerJet can help get you better reach of the candidates. Using an ATS like Recooty can help save you a great deal of manual work! This allows you to post jobs to more than 20+ job sites with a single click. You can do a quick Recooty sign-up from here – Recooty.
What are the top skills for a System Administrator?
Ability to handle pressure and workload:
This usually is a very hectic job. If in case a system goes down, it is your responsibility to take care of it along with the other task. In this case, your job becomes doubly difficult. In such situations, you might also be blamed for any kind of revenue loss of the organization. To avoid these losses of the organization you have to be ready with a disaster plan at all times. You also need to be highly proactive during the organization’s working hours. Thus, the ability to handle a lot of pressure and workload is very important.
Good learning and writing skills:
It is very important for you to know about all the latest skills of the industry. The candidate has to deal with new issues that arise within the organization. You must have good grasping skills to learn all the modern concepts and come up with effective solutions. So, good learning skills are essential. Another part of your job will be of writing and maintaining IT documents. Thus, writing skills are needed. Also, with good writing skills, learning systems become easier.
Good interactive skills:
The candidate is required to interact with customers I am a teammate, company juniors, and Senior officials. You are required to communicate complex tasks in a simpler form. You cannot afford any kind of miscommunication within the organization. This makes good interactive skills for this job extremely important.
Good knowledge of networking:
You have two develop and maintain good contacts or networks for the organization’s benefit. The candidate has to maintain close contact with every single stakeholder within the IT infrastructure. You also need to be in contact with people so that they can report any issue that arises in the system. With this, you will be able to handle all issues on time which in turn will result in the smooth sailing of the organization’s activities.
Excellent technical skills:
These skills are the one that helps you to stand out from the crowd. To become an asset to the organization you must keep enhancing your technical skills. Doing certification such as systems Center config manager is always a plus point.